When space heaters are turned on they should be 3 feet away from anything you DON'T want to catch fire. This includes blankets, drapes or furniture. Space heaters can be great to heat up your office or bedroom but be mindful of how you are plugging them in. Don't use extension cords to run your heater instead plug it directly into the outlet to avoid hazards.
Be wary of electric blankets:
Electric blankets are a good way to warm up and also save a little money on your heat but when overworked they become dangerous. Watch out for poking wires or frays as they can lead to electrical sparks. This is NOT ideal with you wrapped up in it! If you have suspicions its best to buy a new one.
Vacation & leaving the house:
If taking off for vacation or just leaving the house for a few days make sure to unplug all appliances. A faulty spark is the last thing you need when you are not present to help stop any damage.
Bonus tip: when leaving make sure your fossettes are either slightly running or your heater is turned on to the low setting ensuring your pipes will not freeze while you are gone.
Consider generator installations and repairs:
Winter can wreak havoc on our homes and many winter/snow storms barrel through all of New Mexico and even Albuquerque without much warning and can impair our electrical and home. Think about getting a generator for your home (kept outside and away from your home as some emit carbon dioxide). Call Eco Electric to get set up with the right one for you!
Outdoor extension cords:
After Christmas, we have oodles of extension cords and outlets we have been utilizing. Be mindful of which ones are which! Outdoor extension cords are built differently to withstand the weather and sun. Remember, you can use an outdoor extension cord inside, but you should not use an indoor extension cord outside. So label them and box them up accordingly!
Look at getting the pros:
Things happen with our electrical whether an outlet goes out, light switch stops working or breakers keep tripping. No matter what might be happening call the pros at Eco Electric to get it taken care of. Taking it into your own hands can cause more damage in the long run.